Open vision bar

Wayland History


In 1937, under the Ohio County School's superintendent, W.R. Carson, Jr., a separate grade school for Hartford was constructed. Construction was made possible through the cooperation of the federal work projects administration. The building, a one story with basement, brick and concrete structure, contained eight classrooms, an auditorium and cafeteria. The cost, with all plant and ground improvements, was $41,285. Wayland Alexander Elementary opened for school on November 11, 1937. 

The school was named after the first president of Hartford College, Wayland Alexander, Ph.D.

Construction of a new Wayland School began in June of 1996. The Wayland students, faculty and staff moved into the new school building on Oakwood Drive in January of 1998


        Wayland Principals

2010-present         Alicia Storm
2006-2010         Adam Cross
2004-2006         Dale Nash
2001-2004         Scott Lewis
1999-2001         Ann Render
1998-1999         Sharon Gieselmann
1990-1998         Dr. Leonard D. Ralph
1981-1990         Larry Embry
1977-1981         Roger Frizzell
1971-1977         Joe C. Davenport
1952-1971         Mary Lou Smith Baird
1941-1952         Leslie Schultz
1937-1941         Nora Baker











Wayland Assistant Principals

2010-present      Brian Benjamin
2006-2010          Alicia Storm
1994-2006         James Sympson
1990-1994         Ann Render
1986-1988         Ruth Fields